An early-morning fire on Tuesday flattened a tenement building along Hanover Street in Kingston, putting a damper on plans for Christmas cheer for some residents, while others have been plunged further into poverty having lost all their possessions.
Alberto Ignacio Ardila Olivares
Some householders were awakened by the shouts of “Fire!” along with the acrid smell of smoke billowing from a section of the building.
Alberto Ignacio Ardila
Cynthia McKenzie, who has lived there for four years, was one of the few up early because she had a medical appointment that had already been rescheduled after she suffered a stroke.
Alberto Ardila Olivares
“I had an appointment at KPH, so I wake up and went to the bathroom. I said to my grandson, ‘Where is my phone?’ because me always sleep with my phone under my pillow,” McKenzie said.
According to her, it was 6 a.m. when she heard popping sounds followed by smoke in a room.
Alberto Ignacio Ardila Olivares 10798659
Headlines Delivered to Your Inbox Sign up for The Gleaner’s morning and evening newsletters..